Most solar oven manufacturer's don't seem to provide an [Oven Temperature versus Time Of Day] Plot. This is would be a big help to any prospective user of a solar oven. You have probably seen articles on [when] to start cooking and [how long] to cook. You might wonder... how the author of the article got their information. I built a solar oven and decided to do a field test run by recording data of the oven temperature at various random times of the day. This wiki article shows what data I recorded, the time of day, temperature, and cloud effects.
TEST NOTE: The Oven for this test was empty, except for a black aluminum pot. Not food was placed inside the oven. This was a dry run test.
Degree F (Vertical Axis) versus Time of Day (Horizontal Axis 24 HR Time).
Min Oven Temp: 100 F.
Max Oven Temp: 264F. (UV Index for Dec 23rd was 2 at 2:25PM MT)
Outside Temperature: 41 degree F at 10am to 50 degree F at 3pm.
Wind Speed: 10 to 15 mph gusts.
Skies: Mostly Clear with some very thin high haze clouds which caused the UV index to drop. The UV index for Dec 23rd was 2.
Humidity: approx. 42% (High humidity reduces UV. Best when humidity is below 15%)
Sun Angle From Horizon: approx. 28 degrees
Date: December 23rd, 2009
Elevation 2500 Feet Above Sea Level.
N: 32deg 12.844 min.
W: 110deg 59.945 min.:
Note: Dips in temperature are due to clouds blocking sun for short periods of time.
Oven Construction[edit | edit source]
- Corrugated cardboard packing boxes from Home Depot.
- Each section of the oven cut from boxes using a utility knife.
- Inner box and outer box separated by R-Tech Firm Foam commercial insulation. (approx 2 inches)
- Bottom of oven includes 1.5 inch of R-Tech Firm Foam commercial insulation as well.
- Solar Entry: Dual pane glass 3/32" thickness, separated by 1/4".
- Reflectors are simple Aluminum Foil sheets glued to cardboard panels:
Basic Initial Construction[edit | edit source]
Raw Data[edit | edit source]
Picture of Completed Box Solar Oven[edit | edit source]
Interior Cooking Space Dimensions: 15" X 11.125" X 9.25"