Last edited: 20 November 2019
Alzubair Saiyed is an Assistant Professor at the B.H Gardi College of Engineering and Technology in Rajkot, Gujarat, India. He began organizing local solar cooking workshops and demonstrations in 2016. Owing to his relentless efforts, Alzubair was awarded the ‘UN V-Award 2018’ on the occasion of International Volunteer Day. His work also received international appreciation—he was selected as Solar Angel (Envoy) at the Gandhi Global Solar Journey (GGSY).
- September 2019: Gujarat Man Teaches Tribal Women to Make Solar Cookers That Cost Just Rs 100! - The Better India (“We have organised the Solar Cooker Workshop in more than 100 villages till date. In the last two years, our initiative has reached many parts of Maharashtra and Karnataka as well. While on the one hand, many rural families have already begun using solar cookers successfully, on the other, we are working on setting up a solar cooker laboratory in the tribal village of Casa located in Palghar district of Maharashtra,” said Alzubair Saiyed.)
- April 2019: World Earth Day: On Mission to Save Environment, Gujarat Engineer Designs Solar Cooker That Costs Just Rs 100 - News 18
- December 2016: Alzubair conducted a solar cooker construction workshop at Shri Kanta Stri Vikas Gruh Girls High School for 735 students. Seven models of various solar cookers were presented, which also included a live cooking demonstration. The workshop main objective was "Women Empowerment with Solar Cooking".
- December 2016: Alzubair organized a workshop on solar cooking with the collaboration of "Divyabhaskar Newspaper Madhurima Club" initially for only a single woman, and more than 100 women actually participated at the Institute of Quality Education (Sister Nivedita Trust), in Rajkot, Gujarat. Eight models of various solar cookers were presented, which also included a live cooking demonstration. Cooker construction methods were also presented.
- November 2016: Engineering students build solar cookers - A total of 120 engineering students from the B.H Gardi College of Engineering and Technology in Rajkot, Gujarat, participated in a Solar Cooking Festival organized by Innov8 Solar Energy. Lead by Alzubair Saiyed, they built 60 solar cookers, which appear to be the Copenhagen Solar Cooker Light design, and then cooked noodles for those in attendance in about 30 minutes.
- April 2017: Solar Cooking Journey - Alzubair Saiyed
Articles in the mediaEdit
- October 2019: How I’m Training Women In Rural Gujarat To Make Solar Cookers In Just ₹60 - Youth Ki Awaaz (YKA)
- September 2019: Gujarat Man Helps Tribal Women Make Solar Cookers That Cost Just Rs 100! - The Better India