Last edited: 5 August 2019
Fundación EcoAndina has been working to bring viable energy alternatives to communities in the remote mountainous areas of Argentina. The Fundación EcoAndina began working there in 1989, showing the village how they could harness the sun for their energy needs. Pictured is a Scheffler Community Kitchen that they have constructed.
- 5-7 November, 2019 (Nairobi, Kenya): Clean Cooking Forum 2019 - The Clean Cooking Alliance and the Kenya Ministry of Energy will co-host this forum with the theme of “Investment. Innovation. Impact.” The sector’s flagship event will bring together hundreds of attendees from around the world working to build an inclusive industry that makes clean cooking accessible to the three billion people who live each day without it. More information...
- 22-24 January 2020 (Faro, Portugal): CONSOLFOOD2020 - To be held at the Institute of Engineering, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. The conference will focus on solar thermal food processing. The deadline for receipt of abstracts was 15 June 2019. More information...
- December 2014: Virginia Bauso and the Fundación EcoAndina have been working to bring viable energy alternatives to communities in the remote mountainous areas of Argentina. In particular, the community of Misa Rumi. The Fundación EcoAndina began working there in 1989, showing the village how they could harness the sun for their energy needs. Currently, the entire village of Misa Rumi is self-sufficient, producing their own electricity for lighting and heating and cooking with solar cookers. Virginia travels there, and to other surrounding communities to introduce solar cooking technology, and also provide long-term assistance in maintaining the cookers. The young people in Misa Rumi have grown proficient in the operation the solar cookers, and are relived they do not have to spend as much time as their elders gathering scarce firewood. The solar cookers serve the people's immediate needs, but they also take some pressure off the fragile arid environment. Read the article in Aljazeera, and watch the recently produced video documenting their efforts. Seizing solar power in Argentina
- May 2013: Project “Energy Square” provides students and members of the general public in the municipality of San Isidro with interactive displays that teach them about science and technology. The module that focuses on energy includes a solar oven. For more information: Exploratorio.com
- February: 2013: With help from Fundación EcoAndina and WISIONS Initiative, there has been a successful launch of solar powered food carts in operation in northern Argentina. During the celebrations of Carnival of Puna, which spans almost all of February, the intrepid promoters of the sun's energy walked a few new solar kiosks through the streets in Tilcara, Humahuaca, La Quiaca, Purmamarca and Uquía, tourist sites the northern province of Jujuy. Each Kiosco SOLAR consists of a wheeled trolley, waterproof roof, and a parabolic solar cooker. "People are incredulous and astonished when the cart is in operation," says Marta Rojas, responsible for opening a kiosk this month in Tilcara. As a safety concern, there has been a need to begin replace traditional food carts, where typically food is cooked directly over gas canisters or open fires.
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture
- January 2009: Energy Meter For Concentrating Solar Cookers To Investigate Co2 Reduction And User Acceptance - Christoph Müller
- July 2006: Use of the Scheffler solar oven for the making of bread with kiwicha (Amaranthus C.) and quinoa (Quenopodum Q. W.) in the North of Argentina - Armando Alvarez
- July 2006: Solar Cookers Systems in Social Interest Houses Build by the State in Chubut, Argentina - Beatriz Garzon
- July 2006: Small Marmalade Factory in Argentina Working With Scheffler Type Industrial Cooker - Jean-Claude Pulfer
Articles in the media
- January 2015: Seizing solar power - Al Jazeera English
- December 2009: Pueblos solares se encienden en la Puna - IPS (English version)
- October 2009: Solar power gives Andean villages a new lease on life - Reuters
- March 2009: Un Veradero Intercambio Cultural Desde La Diversidad - La Opinion (English version)
Audio and video
- December 2014: Seizing Solar Power - Aljazeera A documentary of the village of Misa Rumi and their conversion to solar power, from electricity for lighting and heating to solar cookers. The village has become energy self-sufficient.
- May 2014:
- September 2012:
- June 2012:
- August 2011:
- April 2009:
- March 2009:
Grupos de discusión Facebook
- Cocineros Solares
- Cocineros Solares Sin Fronteras
- Cocina Solar Mexico
- Solar Renewable Energy in Costa Rica
- Solar Show Cooking (Spain)
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association