Last edited: 4 August 2019
- NEW: Webinar: Thursday, 11 November 2021, 1:00pm UTC: - Solar Cookers International will present a webinar showing how solar cooking helps to improve public health, and the health of the environment around the globe. As part of this year's COP26 in Glasgow, Scotland, it will take place as a side event at the World Health Organization pavilion. There is limited space available for those interested in participating in this free event. Register early.
- 22-26 November 2021: 2nd National Congress for Solar Drying and Cooking Food - An affiliated group of universities in Mexico will host an online conference relating to solar food drying and cooking, as well as, food safety and energy savings realized with minimal environmental impact. Participants can register to view the presentations, or apply for presentation consideration. The conference will be in Spanish. Registration information... - (English version)
- 17-23 December 2021: Solar Cooking Awareness Week (Southern Hemisphere) - A loosely organized bid to acknowledge the fun and benefits of solar cooking. Show someone how to solar cook and share a meal.
- 24-26 January 2022: Fourth International Conference: Advances in Solar Thermal Food Processing - CONSOLFOOD Chairman, Celestino Ruivo, has announced an extended call for abstracts for the upcoming conference in January 2022, which is now planned to be an online event. Advances in solar cooking as well as solar food processing will be considered for inclusion. The event schedule and submission requirements are in CONSOLFOOD 2022 conference information.
- January 2016: Mahmoud Mousa, Abdullah Osama, and Ahmed Essam of E-Innovation won second place overall in the Kuwait Global Technopreneurship Challenge for their solar box cooker design. The event was organized by Wamda, a group dedicated to supporting entrepreneurs in MENA (Middle East and North Africa region). E-Innonation sees their design as a good solar cooker option for low-income families and intends to explore Egypt as the initial market.
- December 2013: Egyptian solar inventor Ahmed Megahed received the 2012 Energy Globe award as well as the Arab Organization for Industrialization Award, and he was short-listed for several other awards for his prototype design of a multiple-use solar thermal cooking device. More information...
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture
- Wikipedia article on the climate of Egypt
- Egypt Energy Situation - Energypedia
- Solar cooker dissemination and cultural variables
Construction plans in Arabic
- CooKit variation (made from smaller pieces of cardboard)
- Minimum Box Cooker
- Solar Water Pasteurizer
Articles in the media
- January 2016: A cost effective and environmentally friendly way to cook your food, straight out of Kuwait - Wanda
The entities listed below are either based in Egypt, or have established solar cooking projects there:
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association