Last edited: 6 August 2019
The Republic of Fiji is an island country in Melanesia in the southern Pacific Ocean about 1,100 nautical miles northeast of New Zealand's North Island.
In May 2015 Soroptimist International completed the first solar cooking installation in Fiji as part of their "See Solar, Cook Solar" program. The goal of the program is to provide a cleaner and more environmentally friendly cooking solution for women in rural and island locations. Read more...
- NEW: Webinar: 11 August, 2020 (5:00a.m.-6:00a.m. PDT, 12:00pm-1:00pm GMT): The Future of Energy Storage: From Plug and Play to Second Life to New Materials – presented by the ees AWARD Winners 2020 Join the webinar to gain insights into the latest innovations in the field of energy storage. Get an overview of best practice examples, as well as tips for your business and award success. Register
- 1-4 September 2020: EuroSun2020 is going virtual - The conference will be now be held on a virtual platform, as a response to safety concerns surrounding Covid-19. According to the organization, "We are currently working on new registration fees that reflect the resources and support for creating the virtual conference infrastructure and presenting the conference online. We will provide more details on the registration rates in the coming weeks." The 13th Conference on Solar Energy for Buildings and Industry will offer a platform to discuss the latest developments with leading solar energy experts, policy makers, and industry representatives. More information...
- December 2020: SWC50 – The Century of Solar - In 1970 solar research pioneers met at the first International Solar Energy Society (ISES) Conference in Melbourne Australia. ISES is commemorating this Conference with a special 50th Anniversary Conference and Display, called the Solar World Congress at 50 (SWC50). The face-to-face conference, originally scheduled for 2-4 December 2020, will be replaced by a series of eight virtual conferences over the course of the month in December 2020. It will include the same panel sessions that were planned for the in-person planned event. More information...
- October 2015: Soroptimist International completes third and final solar cooker installation in Fiji - Read more...
- May 2015: Soroptimist International completed the first solar cooking installation in Fiji as part of their "See Solar, Cook Solar" program. The goal of the program is to provide a cleaner and more environmentally-friendly cooking solution for women in rural and island locations. Read more...
- December 2014: See Solar, Cook Solar, a program run by the humanitarian agency Soroptimist International, will provide solar cookers to women in remote rural and island locations in Fiji, providing a safer, more economical and environmentally-sustainable alternative to traditional kerosene stoves. Soroptimist International clubs in Fiji are working to develop this programme with the Ministry of Women, Welfare and Poverty Alleviation, who are already promoting solar lighting in remote areas, while educating, empowering and enabling opportunities for women and girls.
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and cultureEdit
Articles in the mediaEdit
Audio and videoEdit
The entities listed below are either based in Fiji, or have established solar cooking projects there:
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association
Manufacturers and vendorsEdit