Last edited: 6 August 2019
The Republic of Fiji is an island country in Melanesia in the southern Pacific Ocean about 1,100 nautical miles northeast of New Zealand's North Island.
In May 2015 Soroptimist International completed the first solar cooking installation in Fiji as part of their "See Solar, Cook Solar" program. The goal of the program is to provide a cleaner and more environmentally friendly cooking solution for women in rural and island locations. Read more...
- NEW: 5-7 November, 2019 (Nairobi, Kenya): Clean Cooking Forum 2019 - The Clean Cooking Alliance and the Kenya Ministry of Energy will co-host the Clean Cooking Forum 2019, to be held in Nairobi, Kenya, from November 5-7. With the theme of “Investment. Innovation. Impact,” the sector’s flagship event will bring together hundreds of attendees from around the world working to build an inclusive industry that makes clean cooking accessible to the three billion people who live each day without it. More information...
- 22-24 January 2020 (Faro, Portugal): CONSOLFOOD2020 - To be held at the Institute of Engineering, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. The conference will focus on solar thermal food processing. The deadline for receipt of abstracts was 15 June 2019. More information...
- October 2015: Soroptimist International completes third and final solar cooker installation in Fiji - Read more...
- May 2015: Soroptimist International completed the first solar cooking installation in Fiji as part of their "See Solar, Cook Solar" program. The goal of the program is to provide a cleaner and more environmentally-friendly cooking solution for women in rural and island locations. Read more...
- December 2014: See Solar, Cook Solar, a program run by the humanitarian agency Soroptimist International, will provide solar cookers to women in remote rural and island locations in Fiji, providing a safer, more economical and environmentally-sustainable alternative to traditional kerosene stoves. Soroptimist International clubs in Fiji are working to develop this programme with the Ministry of Women, Welfare and Poverty Alleviation, who are already promoting solar lighting in remote areas, while educating, empowering and enabling opportunities for women and girls.
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture
- Wikipedia article on the climate of Fiji
- NEW: Fiji Energy Situation - Energypedia
- Cultural variables
Articles in the media
Audio and video
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association
Manufacturers and vendors