Last edited: 6 August 2019
The Republic of Fiji is an island country in Melanesia in the southern Pacific Ocean about 1,100 nautical miles northeast of New Zealand's North Island.
In May 2015 Soroptimist International completed the first solar cooking installation in Fiji as part of their "See Solar, Cook Solar" program. The goal of the program is to provide a cleaner and more environmentally friendly cooking solution for women in rural and island locations. Read more...
Events[edit | edit source]
- NEW: Webinar: Saturday, 24 April 2021 (6:00am - 7:30am PDT, 13:00 - 14:30 GMT): Adventures with Solar and Haybox Cooking - SF Innovation LTD, with Seggy Segaran, will present their experiences using solar and haybox cookers to save energy, and the range of improved combustion stoves they also use. This Zoom event is free but requires registration. More information...
- NEW: Webinar: Thursday, 29 April 2021 (2:00pm - 3:30am CEST, 12:00 - 13:30 GMT): Understanding the multilateral climate funds - The Women and Gender Constituency continues with their final webinar of the series: “Funding Gender-Just Climate Solutions”. This Zoom event is free but requires registration. More information...
- NEW: Webinar: (TBD): CONSOLFOOD: Baking bread in your solar cooker - Cooks are invited to send a 90 second maximum, video showing how to bake bread using the sun. Selected webinar videos will be compiled in a YouTube playlist for ease of presentation during the webinar. Submission requirements, by 30 April 2021
News[edit | edit source]
- October 2015: Soroptimist International completes third and final solar cooker installation in Fiji - Read more...
- May 2015: Soroptimist International completed the first solar cooking installation in Fiji as part of their "See Solar, Cook Solar" program. The goal of the program is to provide a cleaner and more environmentally-friendly cooking solution for women in rural and island locations. Read more...
- December 2014: See Solar, Cook Solar, a program run by the humanitarian agency Soroptimist International, will provide solar cookers to women in remote rural and island locations in Fiji, providing a safer, more economical and environmentally-sustainable alternative to traditional kerosene stoves. Soroptimist International clubs in Fiji are working to develop this programme with the Ministry of Women, Welfare and Poverty Alleviation, who are already promoting solar lighting in remote areas, while educating, empowering and enabling opportunities for women and girls.
History[edit | edit source]
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Possible funders[edit source]
Reports[edit | edit source]
Articles in the media[edit | edit source]
Audio and video[edit | edit source]
The entities listed below are either based in Fiji, or have established solar cooking projects there:
SCI Associates[edit source]
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association