Last edited: 13 August 2021
- NEW: 15-17 September 2021: Climate Chance Summit Africa 2021 - Registration is open to attend the virtual 3rd edition of the Climate Chance Africa Summit. Three days of sessions on key themes and sectors of climate action hosted by non-state actors engaged in climate change in Africa. There is no charge for attendance, but registration is required
- NEW: Friday, 17 September 2021 (10:30am CDT, 15:30 GMT): Homeschool program on solar cooking - The Syracuse-Turkey Creek Township Public Library, in Syracuse, Indiana, USA, offers online programs for homeschool students on Fridays at 10:30am. This program is described as learning to build and use a solar cooker. Read more...
- NEW: 5 October 2021: American made solar competition - The U.S. Dept. of Energy is sponsoring a a multi-part competition to spur solar manufacturing, develop innovative solar solutions and products, and create domestic jobs and opportunities through public-private partnerships. The contest is open to U.S. residents, and the final phase is still open for submittals until 5 October 2021. Much of the attention has been with photovoltaic solutions, and this last phase is structured with two tracks that focus separately on hardware and software components. Solar cooking equipment should qualify as hardware solutions. Read more about the competition...
- NEW: 22-26 November 2021: 2nd National Congress for Solar Drying and Cooking Food - An affiliated group of universities in Mexico will host an online conference relating to solar food drying and cooking, as well as, food safety and energy savings realized with minimal environmental impact. Participants can register to view the presentations, or apply for presentation consideration. The conference will be in Spanish. Registration information... - (English version)
- 17-23 December 2021: Solar Cooking Awareness Week (Southern Hemisphere) - A loosely organized bid to acknowledge the fun and benefits of solar cooking. Show someone how to solar cook and share a meal.
- 24-26 January 2022: Fourth International Conference: Advances in Solar Thermal Food Processing - CONSOLFOOD Chairman, Celestino Ruivo, has announced an extended call for abstracts for the upcoming conference in January 2022, which is now planned to be an online event. Advances in solar cooking as well as solar food processing will be considered for inclusion. The event schedule and submission requirements are in CONSOLFOOD 2022 conference information.
- February 2021: French artisans create solar bakery in Normandy - The NeoLoco solar bakery is the result of a long journey. Founder, Arnaud Crétot, has traveled the planet to study the various existing energy solutions, first with the association Les vagabonds de l'énergie, which he co-founded in 2009, then with Solar Fire Concentration, a Finnish social enterprise. In 2018 he decided to install a solar array concentrator oven in Normandy, France to roast local seeds and bake bread. Read more... - (English version)
- November 2018: SCI opening new doors in France and Switzerland with WHO - Solar Cookers International Science Director and primary UN representative, Dr. Alan Bigelow, presented the current work SCI at Clean Tech Week in Annecy, France. Read more...
- January 2017: The traveling solar restaurant: Professional chef, Pierre-André Aubert, presented his experiences testing a mobile solar restaurant at the 6th SCI World Conference 2017. He has also included the detailed development of the solar kitchen. Aubert is optimistic about the future of this concept based on the reaction he received from the patrons of the test restaurant. Read more about his project: Testing Phase of the First Solar Restaurant of France (Europe)
- December 2015: Gilles Gallo, the founder and president of IDCOOK participated in the COP21 climate conference in Paris:
- August 2015: Des jeunes d’un centre de loisirs sensibilisés à la cuisson solaire - (English version)
- February 2015: Bolivia Inti-Sud Soleil, Newsletter, February 2015
- September 2014: Paris solar cooking demonstration - IDCOOK held a solar cooking demonstration on the rooftop of the BHV building in Paris, France.
- February 2014: French solar cuisine done with style - Sun and Ice shares photos of one of their reflectors incorporated into a portable solar kitchen, created by one of their customers in France. The small, trailered construction is a rolling work of art. See more photos on the Facebook page.
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture
- July 2006: Solar Cooking in Europe - Why and How? - Michael Götz
- Wikipedia article on the climate of France
- France Energy Situation - Energypedia
- Solar cooker dissemination and cultural variables
- Atlas de la cuisine solaire
- Ateliers de construction et d'utilisation de cuiseurs solaires (Solar Inti, Argentine)
Articles in the media
- NEW: August 2021: Solar-baked bread? Recycled loaves? Bakers try something new in France - The Christian Science Monitor
- June 2017: Le Présage – Le 1er restaurant solaire de France est à Aubagne - (English version)
- June 2016: Un four solaire innovant assemblé par l’ESAT de Braconnac - APJH dan le Tarn (English version)
- April 2009: Jeunesse, paix et aide humanitaire pour la semaine nationale du Rotary - La Voix du Nord (English version)
Audio and Video
- June 2021:
- August 2019: Video showing recent solar cooking event in Sorède
- July 2019: Barbecue solaire : la “bonne cuisine” écolo - Alain Bivas cuisine tout dans le barbecue écolo (SUNplicity) qu'il a lui-même inventé - France 3 Rhône-Alpes
- June 2019:
- June 2015:
- November 2014:
- August 2010:
- March 2008:
- Concept de Cuisson et de Séchage Solaire
- Pascal Rastoul and Pauline Cassan's solar travel blog - (English version)
- Le Wiki des Cuissons Solaires
- Questions courantes sur les fours solaires
- La cuisson solaire (Blog) - (English version)
- Bolivia Inti-Sud Soleil - (English version)
- Solar Cooking Concept - France (Site internet)
- Long list of French NGOs working with solar energy
The entities listed below are either based in France, or have established solar cooking projects there:
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association