Last edited: 27 May 2020
In 2010, Gordon and Grace Magney of Global Hope Network International began a project to supply subsidized solar cookers as an affordable solution for middle- and lower-income families in Afghanistan. They have imported both ready-to-use cookers as well as materials for making additional cookers. Global Hope Network International has provided training in several Arghan villages in how to assemble and demonstrate solar cooking.
Global Hope Network International intends to complete its solar cooking project at the end of 2015.
- November 2015: Global Hope Network International reports delivering 86 solar cookers in the Yoakawlang District and Bamyan Province of Afghanistan. They note that local solar cooker production and sales have also increased in these areas. Read more...
- October 2014: Global Hope Network International reports its recent success in transporting 300 solar cookers to rural villages in central Afghanistan where all 300 were purchased by villagers.
- October 2012: Parabolic solar cookers delivered to Afghanistan's remote Wakhan Corridor - The Kirghiz tribe live at the end of this slender finger of land in northeastern Afghanistan. Their primary fuel source for cooking has been dried yak dung, creating smoky conditions in their yurts. The buffalo-like yaks are used for most of their transportation needs. In June, Jeff Waalkes in Kyrgyzstan and Grace Magney with the Global Hope Network in Kabul were able to deliver ten parabolic solar cookers to the tribe. Grace organized the procurement and had the cookers loaded onto a truck. Jeff's responsibility was to get the truck into the Wakhan Corridor, and where the road petered out, strap everything including the solar cookers to the backs of yaks to deliver them to the Kirghiz. Initially hesitant, members of the tribe were soon cooking food and boiling water.
Audio and video
- October 2014:
- A July 2006 audio interview with Grace Magney discussing her project in Afghanistan
- Facebook: @globalhopenetworkintnl
- Twitter: @GHNI @GHNI_Europe
- LinkedIn: GHNI-LinkedIn
- YouTube: GHNI-YouTube
Global Hope Network International
PO Box 3023
World Headquarters/Office of the President
27, Chemin des Crets-Pregny
1218 Grand Saconnex
Telephone: 41 221 41 00 28 / (407) 207-3256