Last edited: 16 February 2020
Events[edit | edit source]
- NEW: 14-26 March 2021, NGO CSW 65 Forum: - NGO CSW/NY organizes the civil society side of the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW). The NGO CSW Forum runs parallel to the events occurring within the UN Headquarters. Solar Cookers International Executive Director, Caitlyn Hughes, will be speaking on Thursday, March 25 (11:30am EST, 4:30 pm GMT). Attendance to the forum is free, but attendees must first register as an Advocate, for which there is also no charge. Registration information...
News[edit | edit source]
- August 2016: A group has formed in Athens to address and improve the lives of refugees living in the local area. They call themselves the Project Daedalus - Local Technical Group. They wish to help the transplanted refugees by teaching them new skills to be able to help themselves. They have begun to explore solar cooking as part of this approach and have assembled a simple solar panel cooker, demonstrated in the video below. Their website is at: https://daedalus.libtech.website/ltg-athens/
- July, 2014: Aftarkeia Network takes part in the SCI's Convention in Sacramento, CA USA.
- May 2014: Christiana Vlachaki of Aftarkeia Network reports that the group has been promoting solar cooking for one year, and have taught over 500 people to solar cook, and have distributed 100 solar cookers. Others in the group include: Theodore Paraskevas, Giannis Falelakis, Eleni Bourolia, Dimitra Simou, and Thanasis Giaouroudis.
History[edit | edit source]
Greece, one of the European countries that have a climate favorable far solar cooking, was home to at least one manufacturer producing solar cookers of high quality. Solar Systems of Athens manufactured devices made of stainless steel, others of aluminum and plastic.
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia article on the climate of Greece
- Greece Energy Situation - Energypedia
- Solar cooker dissemination and cultural variables
- July 2006: Solar Cooking in Europe - Why and How? - Michael Götz
Resources[edit | edit source]
Possible funders[edit source]
Reports[edit | edit source]
Articles in the media[edit | edit source]
Audio and video[edit | edit source]
- August 2016:
- September 2015:
- November 2010:
The entities listed below are either based in Greece, or have established solar cooking projects there:
SCI Associates[edit source]
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association