Last edited: 16 February 2020
Events[edit | edit source]
- NEW: 2 December 2020 (7 a.m. PST, 10 a.m. EST, 3 p.m. UTC): United Nations Climate Dialogue - Join Solar Cookers International (SCI) for a special event at the United Nations with the Women and Gender Constituency. SCI Executive Director, Caitlyn Hughes, Science Director, Alan Bigelow Ph.D., and Anne Barre (WGC) will be discussing solar cooking's positive impacts on women and the environment. Register for this free event
- NEW: Webinar: 4 December 2020 (1:30 p.m. IST, 8:00 a.m. GMT): Sustainability through Solar Energy and Entrepreneurship - Hosted by Jagan Nath University, the International Foundation for Sustainable Development in Africa and Asia, African Asian Studies Promotion Association, and the Society for Sustainable Agriculture & Resources Management will present this webinar. Ten prominent experts in their fields will provide background information and news of the latest sustainability findings. Registration information...
- December 2020: SWC50 – The Century of Solar - In 1970 solar research pioneers met at the first International Solar Energy Society (ISES) Conference in Melbourne Australia. ISES is commemorating this Conference with a special 50th Anniversary Conference and Display, called the Solar World Congress at 50 (SWC50). The face-to-face conference, originally scheduled for 2-4 December 2020, will be replaced by a series of eight virtual conferences over the course of the month in December 2020. It will include the same panel sessions that were planned for the in-person planned event. More information...
News[edit | edit source]
- August 2016: A group has formed in Athens to address and improve the lives of refugees living in the local area. They call themselves the Project Daedalus - Local Technical Group. They wish to help the transplanted refugees by teaching them new skills to be able to help themselves. They have begun to explore solar cooking as part of this approach and have assembled a simple solar panel cooker, demonstrated in the video below. Their website is at: https://daedalus.libtech.website/ltg-athens/
- July, 2014: Aftarkeia Network takes part in the SCI's Convention in Sacramento, CA USA.
- May 2014: Christiana Vlachaki of Aftarkeia Network reports that the group has been promoting solar cooking for one year, and have taught over 500 people to solar cook, and have distributed 100 solar cookers. Others in the group include: Theodore Paraskevas, Giannis Falelakis, Eleni Bourolia, Dimitra Simou, and Thanasis Giaouroudis.
History[edit | edit source]
Greece, one of the European countries that have a climate favorable far solar cooking, was home to at least one manufacturer producing solar cookers of high quality. Solar Systems of Athens manufactured devices made of stainless steel, others of aluminum and plastic.
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia article on the climate of Greece
- Greece Energy Situation - Energypedia
- Solar cooker dissemination and cultural variables
- July 2006: Solar Cooking in Europe - Why and How? - Michael Götz
Resources[edit | edit source]
Possible funders[edit source]
Reports[edit | edit source]
Articles in the media[edit | edit source]
Audio and video[edit | edit source]
- August 2016:
- September 2015:
- November 2010:
The entities listed below are either based in Greece, or have established solar cooking projects there:
SCI Associates[edit source]
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association