Last edited: 2 July 2018
- 5-7 November, 2019 (Nairobi, Kenya): Clean Cooking Forum 2019 - The Clean Cooking Alliance and the Kenya Ministry of Energy will co-host this forum with the theme of “Investment. Innovation. Impact.” The sector’s flagship event will bring together hundreds of attendees from around the world working to build an inclusive industry that makes clean cooking accessible to the three billion people who live each day without it. More information...
- 22-24 January 2020 (Faro, Portugal): CONSOLFOOD2020 - To be held at the Institute of Engineering, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. The conference will focus on solar thermal food processing. The deadline for receipt of abstracts was 15 June 2019. More information...
- July 2018: Two day training in Conakry - Abdoulaye Sadio Diallo conducted two days of training with students from the Université Nongo de Conakry (UNC), Guinea, from 12-13 June 2018. Instruction included the building of CooKit panel cookers from recycled materials, and the use of SK-14 German parabolic solar cooker.
- February 2018: Abdoulaye adio Diallo shared an update of the Association Des Volontaires Guineens Pour l' Environnement's recent solar cooking work:
- For three weeks in May - June, 2015, the group trained 86 students, teachers, and community members of different nationalities at the Institute of Rural Development of FARANAH, a rural development university. An SK14 parabolic solar cooker was used to cook food for participants along with the 173 CooKits which were built during the training between 23 May and 5 June 2015. The SK14 parabolic cooker was gifted to the University to encourage the staff to continue research on various food processing methods and techniques.
- In July 2016, a 3-day training was held for youth leaders in a sub-regional West African catholic scouts camp. During the training, 69 CooKits were built and an SK14 parabolic cooker was used as well.
- A CooKit made of recycled materials, including cartons collected from a local market, aluminum from a restaurant, and locally made glue was presented to delegates of the Guinean Ministry of Environment and Forests who were attending COP23 in November 2017 in Germany.
- March 2016: Diallo Sadio Abdoulaye reports that the Association Des Volontaires Guineens Pour l' Environnement has been promoting solar thermal cooking for twenty-two years in Guinea and other areas of West Africa. He feels by training young people with sustainable employment opportunities is helping to fight against the appeal of terrorist organizations. He is hoping to attract the attention of an NGO willing to help with their efforts.
- August 2000: Volontaires Guineens pour l’Environnement reports they have been working on solar cooker production and promotion in Guinea since 1995. “For every one cooker that is bought, we always make sure that we fabricate one for a poor family in the rural village,” writes Diallo Sadio Abdoulaye. “By this system, we have now put in place about 250 cookers just for the village population.” Mr. Diallo reports that the Voluntaires have a solar cooking training staff but have trouble obtaining the necessary materials for building cookers.
A long lasting effort in Guinea is found in the work of a solar pioneer in that country, Diallo Abdoulaye Sadio, who has spearheaded an effort which has produced hundreds of solar cookers, both box type and panels. The organization, called Association des Volontaires Guineens Pour l' Environnement, has made and sold cookers on a plan that permits the free distribution of one cooker, to a family in a rural village, for each one they are able to sell. Occasionally they have trouble locating materials, but have a staff well trained in the training of others, and in the producing of cookers.
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture
- Wikipedia article on the climate of Guinea
- Discussion of West-central Africa's suitability for solar cooking
- Solar cooker dissemination and cultural variables
Articles in the media
- Principe et intérêt de la cuisson solaire - (English version)
- Questions courantes sur les fours solaires
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association
Manufacturers and vendors