Last edited: 12 September 2016
- 5-7 November, 2019 (Nairobi, Kenya): Clean Cooking Forum 2019 - The Clean Cooking Alliance and the Kenya Ministry of Energy will co-host this forum with the theme of “Investment. Innovation. Impact.” The sector’s flagship event will bring together hundreds of attendees from around the world working to build an inclusive industry that makes clean cooking accessible to the three billion people who live each day without it. More information...
- 22-24 January 2020 (Faro, Portugal): CONSOLFOOD2020 - To be held at the Institute of Engineering, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. The conference will focus on solar thermal food processing. The deadline for receipt of abstracts was 15 June 2019. More information...
- January 2016: Mahmoud Mousa, Abdullah Osama, and Ahmed Essam of E-Innovation won second place overall in the Kuwait Global Technopreneurship Challenge with their solar box cooker design. The event was organized by Wamda, a group dedicated to supporting entrepreneurs in MENA (Middle East and North Africa region). E-Innonation sees their design as a good solar cooker option for low-income families and intends to explore Egypt as the initial market. Read more...
- 2010: US Soldier builds solar cooker to cook with while stationed in Kuwait - Colin Hoskins is a US service member currently deployed in Kuwait at Camp Arifjan in 2010. In his words: Aside from a bbq grill, there are no facilities for soldiers to prepare a meal for themselves and as you can imagine Army chow soon becomes monotonous. I had the foresight to bring along a couple dutch ovens and I've made extensive use of them using charcoal as fuel. Charcoal isn't always available and safety restrictions prohibit me from using fire outside of designated areas so I could really only cook in the evenings when we had a slow day. I thought that a solar cooker would be ideal. No fire required and it would allow me to "set it and forget it". I built a panel style solar cooker using laminated foam board and 3 mil Mylar. I scaled up the design by 10% so my 10" dutch oven would fit. Read more...
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture
Construction plans in Arabic
- CooKit variation (made from smaller pieces of cardboard)
- Minimum Box Cooker
- Solar Water Pasteurizer
Articles in the media
- January 2016: A cost effective and environmentally friendly way to cook your food, straight out of Kuwait - Wamda
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association
Manufacturers and vendors
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.