Last edited: 5 August 2019
- 5-7 November, 2019 (Nairobi, Kenya): Clean Cooking Forum 2019 - The Clean Cooking Alliance and the Kenya Ministry of Energy will co-host the Clean Cooking Forum 2019, to be held in Nairobi, Kenya, from 5-7 November. With the theme of “Investment. Innovation. Impact,” the sector’s flagship event will bring together hundreds of attendees from around the world working to build an inclusive industry that makes clean cooking accessible to the three billion people who live each day without it. More information...
- 22-24 January 2020 (Faro, Portugal): CONSOLFOOD2020 - To be held at the Institute of Engineering, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. The conference will focus on solar thermal food processing. The deadline for receipt of abstracts was 15 June 2019. More information...
Call for applications
- NEW: 10 September 2019: Deadline for call for applications: Organizations working to disseminate clean cooking technologies to household consumers - Clean Cooking Alliance
- May 2017: Solar Cooking KoZon (SCK) stimulates ISC private enterprises - In 2014, Solar Cooking KoZon granted Togo Tilé, a Mali-based solar cooking business run by Seydou Coulibaly, an initial subsidy of EUR 13,300. Two years later, it’s a thriving business with 30 staff members, five points of sale nationwide and an average monthly business volume of EUR 9,000. The environment constitutes an important incentive: at sales demonstrations, at schools and universities, close attention is paid to the environmental aspects of solar cooking. For Seydou a contribution to the environment does not end with the sale of the product. Togo Tilé continues to support its customers for some time after the sale, to ensure that the products are truly integrated in daily cooking, to provide a lasting positive contribution to the environment. After extensive analysis of the business, Togo Tilé was selected by a government programme in Mali focused on stimulating private enterprise. A business expansion plan was established that included the construction of a bigger workshop and the acquisition of a saw and a welding machine. Expenses: close to EUR 47,000. Togo Tilé paid EUR 5,000, and the Mali government and Solar Cooking The Netherlands KoZon paid half each. Now Togo Tilé can meet the increasing demand for solar cooking appliances in Mali.
- September 2016: In July 2016, Solar Cooking KoZon was given the opportunity to present themselves at a meeting in the Ministry of Economic Affairs (EZ) in The Hague, Netherlands. Read more...
- June 2013: Solar Cooking The Netherlands - KoZon at a glance, read more in SCN Annual Report 2012
- In Uganda the market increased and the sale of sustainable cooking appliances went up in Mbarara. A Solar Cooking distribution and training centre was started in Kampala in 2012.
- In Ethiopia plans advanced for the construction of 20 Sustainable Energy Centres, within the framework of an important EU project coordinated by HOAREC/N . The recruitment and training of employees is well under way. During 2 working visits SCN provided advice on the centre's business approach. In the Awra Amba community, an Integrated Solar Cooking centre is under construction and the coordination, production and training employees were selected and trained. Soon the production and distribution will get started. Its business approach is fully in the line with the objectives of this very special community. In 2012, serious efforts were made to transfer SCN knowledge to East Africa. In march SCN recruited a staff member in collaboration with HOAREC/N. The ultimate objective is to create an ISC Knowledge and Service Centre in Addis Ababa that has advisory and training capability for East Africa countries.
- November 2012: Solar Cooking Foundation in the Netherlands promotes the Integrated Cooking Method in Rural Ethiopia - The Solar Cooking Netherlands project to promote the Integrated Cooking Method included using the CooKit, heat retention baskets, solar box cookers, solar dryers and water pasteurization indicators (WAPI). In addition to these appliances, SCN further integrates and promotes energy efficient stoves including the Mirt and Tikikil stoves. Read more at: Solar Cooking Netherlands addresses Energy Problems in rural Ethiopia.
- July 2012: Fikirte Regassa Beyene is working as representative for Solar Cooking Foundation the Netherlands (SCN) on HOAREC/N's team for the Integrated Solar Cooking Project Officer in Addis Ababa. She has been assigned to the project for several months to oversee SCN's role as advising and providing technical assistance.
- February 2012: The first National Project Steering Committee (NPSC) organised by HOAREC/N took place in Addis Ababa. The NPSC has the overall responsibility on quality control, development and - assurance related to the objectives of the European Union RET / EE project for Integrated Solar Cooking in Ethiopia in three areas. The target group is 10,000 households. Solar Cooking Foundation the Netherlands (SCN) is Associated Partner in this project and member of the NPSC.
- February 2012: The workgroup Solar Cookers Sliedrecht receives a yearly donation from a recycle shop in Sliedrecht in order to build and promote solar cookers. The group is still promoting the Dierkx type box cooker. They offer workshops to people who want to produce and introduce box cookers anywhere in the world. Initially, they help them to start the project by providing those who have attended the workshop with money and materials to build five box cookers. Whenever Solar Cookers Sliedrecht receive a positive response and when people seem to be willing to cook with the help of the sun, in the second phase they help them by providing money for building another 10 cookers. After that, they judge if the project can be continued autonomously. An important condition for the help given by the workgroup is that during the manufacturing of the box cooker and the use of it, there must be a possibility of daily e-mail contact. Questions will be answered within 24 hours.
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture
- Wikipedia article on the climate of Netherlands
- NEW: Netherlands Energy Situation - Energypedia
- Solar cooker dissemination and cultural variables
- July 2006: Solar Cooking in Europe - Why and How? - Michael Götz
Articles in the media
- September 2016: This Man Cooks His Lunch on a Satellite Dish - Munchies
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association
Manufacturers and vendors
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.