Last edited: 26 March 2019
Responding to requests from cooks, agencies, and manufacturers, Solar Cookers International(SCI) created an objective, scientific process to evaluate solar cookers: the Performance Evaluation Process (PEP). SCI objectively and scientifically evaluates how a solar cooker performs. Solar cooks and purchasing agencies around the world need these valuable performance metrics to select the solar cooker that best fits their needs.
- Based on the internationally accepted ASAE S580.1 protocol for Testing and Reporting Solar Cooker Performance
- Harmonizes with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) test ISO/TC 285 protocols being developed for clean cookstoves
- SCI is a solar cooker testing center registered with the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
- SCI has testing centers in Laliptur, Nepal; and in New York and California USA
Local testing of solar cookers supports local economies - an SCI goal. Local testing means tapping leaders’ expertise: knowledge of their culture, language, and foods to identify the highest-quality, most durable solar cooking technologies for those regions. With additional funding from donors, SCI can proceed with plans to open three new testing centers: Africa, Europe, and Latin America. Want to learn how you can fund an SCI testing center and support local economies? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org today.
- January 2017: Development of a Performance Evaluation Process (PEP) for Solar Cookers - Dr. Alan Bigelow
- July 2018: A technical description of the methodology: Performance Evaluation Process (PEP) for Solar Cookers - Dr. Alan Bigelow
Open-source hardware and software
- Construction plans and control software for the SCI PEP device are publicly available. Register at the bottom of this page.
- See SCI.