Last edited: 24 May 2021
Responding to requests from cooks, agencies, and manufacturers, Solar Cookers International (SCI) has created the Performance Evaluation Process (PEP), an objective, scientific process to evaluate solar cooker performance. Solar cooks and purchasing agencies around the world need these valuable performance metrics to select the solar cooker that best fits their needs.
The testing station, shown below, has been developed to provide objective results regardless of the test's geographic location or weather conditions.
- June 2020: PEP Update - On a 19 June 2020 video conference, SCI Executive Director, Caitlyn Hughes and Science Director, Alan Bigelow, conducted a basic overview of the different types of solar cookers, explained the various parts of the Performance Evaluation Process (PEP) test station, and the history behind the process. They also shared results and lessons learned from conducting tests on specific solar cookers. You can view the presentation here: https://www.anymeeting.com/678-195-876/EA51D986844838
- Based on the internationally accepted ASAE S580.1 protocol for Testing and Reporting Solar Cooker Performance
- Harmonizes with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) test ISO/TC 285 protocols being developed for clean cookstoves
- SCI is a solar cooker testing center registered with the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
Local testing of solar cookers supports local economies - an SCI goal. Local testing means tapping leaders’ expertise: knowledge of their culture, language, and foods to identify the highest-quality, most durable solar cooking technologies for those regions. With additional funding from donors, SCI can proceed with plans to open three new testing centers: Africa, Europe, and Latin America. Want to learn how you can fund an SCI testing center and support local economies? Contact email@example.com today.
- Kenya - Nairobi, University of Nairobi.
- Nepal – Lalitpur. Center for Rural Technologies (CRT).
- USA – Nyack, New York. Solar Cookers International.
- USA – Pollock Pines (Greater Sacramento area), California. Solar Cookers International.
- Click on the image below to be taken to comparative PEP test results. See all the currently PEP tested solar cookers.
- January 2017: Development of a Performance Evaluation Process (PEP) for Solar Cookers - Dr. Alan Bigelow
- July 2018: A technical description of the methodology: Performance Evaluation Process (PEP) for Solar Cookers - Dr. Alan Bigelow
Open-source hardware and software
- Construction plans and control software for the SCI PEP device are publicly available. Register at the bottom of this page.
- See SCI.