Last edited: 8 January 2019
- NEW: Webinar: 11 July, 2020 (2:00-4:00 PDT, 9:00pm-11:00pm GMT): Cooking using a Haybox and a Battery Powered Slow Cooker - This webinar, presented by SF Innovations Ltd, will look at two different techniques of cooking using a well insulated cooking container. It will show how to cook rice, stews and even bake bread using little or no fossil fuel. Registration information...
- NEW: 1-4 September 2020: EuroSun2020 is going virtual - The conference will be now be held on a virtual platform, as a response to safety concerns surrounding Covid-19. According to the organization, "We are currently working on new registration fees that reflect the resources and support for creating the virtual conference infrastructure and presenting the conference online. We will provide more details on the registration rates in the coming weeks." The 13th Conference on Solar Energy for Buildings and Industry will offer a platform to discuss the latest developments with leading solar energy experts, policy makers, and industry representatives. More information...
- December 2020: SWC50 – The Century of Solar - In 1970 solar research pioneers met at the first International Solar Energy Society (ISES) Conference in Melbourne Australia. ISES is commemorating this Conference with a special 50th Anniversary Conference and Display, called the Solar World Congress at 50 (SWC50). The face-to-face conference, originally scheduled for 2-4 December 2020, will be replaced by a series of eight virtual conferences over the course of the month in December 2020. It will include the same panel sessions that were planned for the in-person planned event. More information...
Have your event listed here by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 2018: Solar cooker request response - MSA Renewtech Foundation (India) and the United Clergy Task Force (UCTF) (US) responded to requests from faith-based communities in rural Puerto Rico for community-sized solar cookers. With private funding, coordination by UCTF, training by Mr. Pranav Gadhia of MSA Renewtech, and bilingual technical instructions, curriculum, and survey tools from Solar Cookers International, ten congregations of more than 100 people each are being trained in the assembly and use of the PRINCE-40 parabolic solar cooker.
- April 2018: Solar cookers provided to rural areas still without power - In late April, Anne Patterson, SCI Global Advisor, will deploy 25+ Solavore solar ovens to Punta Santiago, the Toro Negro rain forest, and Morovis. Most of these places are still largely without power and families spend disproportionately on fuel for generators. Monitoring and evaluation are incorporated into this project to track results. The evaluation tools used in these projects can be obtained from Solar Cookers International.
- August 2015: Ritz-Carlton bakes beachside chocolate chip cookies for guests in Sun Oven - Bon Appétit magazine featured the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Dorado Beach which uses an All American Sun Oven to make chocolate chip cookies on the beach for their guests. "For us, the sun oven is a way to get kids thinking about how humans can harvest the enormous energy of the sun in better ways" says Sara Welsh, who manages the Ambassadors of the Environment initiative at the hotel. Read more...
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and cultureEdit
Articles in the mediaEdit
- December 2018: Faith-Based Social Entrepreneurs Bank Puerto Rico Trash Will Fuel Island's Growth - Forbes
The entities listed below are either based in Puerto Rico, or have established solar cooking projects there:
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association
Manufacturers and vendorsEdit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.