|139 Countries · 350 NGOs · 277 Individuals|
168 Manufacturers · 424 Designs · 107 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- NEW: 5-7 November, 2019 (Nairobi, Kenya): Clean Cooking Forum 2019 - The Clean Cooking Alliance and the Kenya Ministry of Energy will co-host the Clean Cooking Forum 2019, to be held in Nairobi, Kenya, from November 5-7. With the theme of “Investment. Innovation. Impact,” the sector’s flagship event will bring together hundreds of attendees from around the world working to build an inclusive industry that makes clean cooking accessible to the three billion people who live each day without it. More information...
- 22-24 January 2020 (Faro, Portugal): CONSOLFOOD2020 - To be held at the Institute of Engineering, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. The conference will focus on solar thermal food processing. The deadline for receipt of abstracts was 15 June 2019. More information...
- NEW: July - August 2019 (Powell River, B.C.): Solar cooking demonstration - The PREP Society’s Community Resource Centre, located at 4752 Joyce Ave., will have a solar cooking display taking place at the centre from 12p.m. to 3p.m., four days per week. More information...
- September 2019 (Benguerir Green City): Solar Decathlon AFRICA - More information...
- 26 September 2019 (Nyack): SCI Science Director Alan Bigelow PhD to speak - The event will be held at the Nyack Library from 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm. More information...
- Design update: Ben 2 and Ben 3 Firewood Stoves variation where the tripod can be constructed without welding - Dieter Seifert
- Design: Newton Solar Oven 2.0
- GoSun news: GoSun Releases DIY Kit to Get People to “Tinker” with its Solar Oven - thespoon
- EVENT: 18 August 2019 (Sorède, France): Third Solar Cooking Day - More information...
- Economic article: Economic benefits of solar cooking
- Document: Climate Protection and Overcoming Poverty Traps - Proposals for the realization of the UN Development Goals (Engish, German) - Dieter Seifert
- PV/heat storage cooking: Research group at Cal Poly, USA uses photovoltaic and phase-change material for heat storage to allow for cooking after dark
- Brazil news: Elmo Dutra represents solar cooking at a seminar on sustainable urban management
- Uganda individual: Esther Nattabi
- Report: Solar Cookers International White Paper - Edward Ortiz
- India resource: Manufacturers of Box Type & Dish Type Solar Cooker - Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (May 2013)
- Uganda news: Green Day celebration in Kampala included solar and fireless cooker demonstrations
- Report: Powering Jobs Census 2019: The Energy Access Workforce - Power for All
- Video: Barbecue solaire : la “bonne cuisine” écolo - France 3 Rhône-Alpes
- Video: Episode 1 of Sunchef Sara, a show about off-grid cooking in northern Denmark
- Cooker comparison test results: Roger Haines conducted cooking tests with the Haines 1 and 2 solar cookers compared to the CooKit and the HotPot
- EVENT: July - August 2019 (Powell River, B.C., Canada): The PREP Society’s Community Resource Centre will have a solar cooking display at the centre four afternoons per week
- EVENT: 16 July 2019 (Online, 7 p.m. CDT): Sun Ovens 101 Workshop - Still time to register for the free online workshop set to take place at 7 p.m. CDT. All the basics of solar box cooking with live Q&A.
- Patent: Solar concentrator assembly and methods of using same - Scot Frank
- Evacuated tube cooking: Solar Cooking with Go Sun Sport-Spaghetti At The Winter Solstice
- Video: 40-year-old vintage solar cooker full unboxing
- Nepal news: Nepal Government Endorsed National Environment Policy - Nepal24Hours.com
- Solar dryer manual: The Solar Tunnel Dryer Type Kisumu - Bernhard Müller
- Wall oven design: Solar Z
- USA SCI Associate: Tom Hoffmann
- India news: Union Budget 2019: A Mixed Bag for the Solar Industry - Saur Energy International
- Madagascar NGO news: ADES Annual Report for 2018
For older news and new-content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
The Solar Cooking Wiki
- About this wiki
- Add or edit an article
- About Solar Cookers International (SCI)
- Sign up for email news updates
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Introduction to solar cooking
- Why solar cooking is important
- How solar cookers work
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- New content
- Construction plans
- SCI Associates
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Heat storage
- Solar restaurants and bakeries
- Health and safety
- Emergency preparedness
- Business development
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Other non-cooking uses
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.