|139 Countries · 350 NGOs · 276 Individuals|
170 Manufacturers · 422 Designs · 106 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- NEW: 5-7 November, 2019 (Nairobi): Clean Cooking Forum 2019 - The Clean Cooking Alliance and the Kenya Ministry of Energy will co-host the Clean Cooking Forum 2019, to be held in Nairobi, Kenya, from November 5-7. With the theme of “Investment. Innovation. Impact,” the sector’s flagship event will bring together hundreds of attendees from around the world working to build an inclusive industry that makes clean cooking accessible to the three billion people who live each day without it. More information...
- 22-24 January 2020 (Faro, Portugal): CONSOLFOOD2020 - To be held at the Institute of Engineering, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. The conference will focus on solar thermal food processing. The deadline for receipt of abstracts was 15 June 2019. Abstracts were to be sent via email to email@example.com in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format. More conference information...
- NEW: 16 July 2019: Sun Ovens 101 Workshop - Still time to register for the free online workshop set to take place at 7 p.m. CDT. All the basics of solar box cooking with live Q&A. Register
- NEW: 30 July 2019: PFAN Call for Proposals Seeks Projects & Businesses with Climate Adaptation Benefits for Development & Investment Support
- NEW: 29-30 July 2019 (Addis Ababa): Safe Access to Fuel and Energy Workshop 2019
- September 2019 (Benguerir Green City): Solar Decathlon AFRICA - More information...
- NEW: 26 September 2019 (Nyack): SCI Science Director Alan Bigelow PhD to speak - The event will be held at the Nyack Library from 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm. More information...
- EVENT: 16 July 2019 (Online, 7 p.m. CDT): Sun Ovens 101 Workshop - Still time to register for the free online workshop set to take place at 7 p.m. CDT. All the basics of solar box cooking with live Q&A.
- Patent: Solar concentrator assembly and methods of using same - Scot Frank
- Evacuated tube cooking: Solar Cooking with Go Sun Sport-Spaghetti At The Winter Solstice
- Vintage solar cooker: 40 Year Old Vintage Solar Cooker Full Unboxing
- Nepal news: Nepal Government Endorsed National Environment Policy - Nepal24Hours.com
- Solar dryer manual: The Solar Tunnel Dryer Type Kisumu - Bernhard Müller
- Wall oven design: Solar Z
- USA SCI Associate: Tom Hoffmann
- India news: Union Budget 2019: A Mixed Bag for the Solar Industry - Saur Energy International
- Madagascar NGO news: ADES Annual Report for 2018
- Purchase option: The Haines 2.0 Solar Cooker is now available on Amazon.com
- India news: Dr. Ajay Chandak to lead a solar cooking expedition to Ladakh
- EVENT: 29-30 July 2019 (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia): Safe Access to Fuel and Energy Workshop 2019
- Call for proposals: 30 July 2019: PFAN Call for Proposals Seeks Projects & Businesses with Climate Adaptation Benefits for Development & Investment Support
- Photovoltaic cooking resource: Beyond Fire: How to achieve electric cooking - Hivos & World Future Council
- Event planning resource: Solar Brunch Guide
- Testing news: SCI opens solar cooking testing center in Nairobi, Kenya
- Refugee camp news: SCI brings solar cooking to more than 300 people in the Kakuma Refugee Camp
- Country: Marshall Islands
- EVENT: 28 August 2019 (Riverdale, the Bronx, USA): SCI Impact Celebration - Solar Cookers International invites donors to an exclusive event from 5:00p.m.- 7:00 p.m.
- EVENT: 7 September 2019 (Sacramento,California, USA): SCI Impact Celebration - Solar Cookers International invites donors to an exclusive event from 3:30 p.m.- 6:00 p.m.
- Solar cooker manufacturer: Haines Solar Cookers
- Solar cooker reviews: Roger Haines provides a video review of various styles of solar cookers.
- EVENT: 26 June 2019 (Chesterfield, Vermont, USA): Cooking with the Sun - A hands-on class for ages 6-12 to learn about solar cooking, and go home with recipes and a solar oven.
- India news: Time To Replace LPG? This Gujarat Man’s Solar Stove Lowers Cooking Costs by 80% - The Better India
- Photovoltaic cooking news: Kenya launches US $461m off grid solar solutions - Construction Review Online
- Facebook group: Minnesota Solar Cookers group
- Facebook group: Copenhagen Solar Cooker Group
- India news: RK Singh reviews the issues pertaining to Renewable Energy sector, calls upon the lenders - Dariya News
- USA news: Citizens for Solar hosts 37th annual solar cooking demonstration in Tucson, Arizona
- EVENT: 22 June 2019 (St.Paul, Minnesota, USA): Summer solstice potluck picnic, with solar cooked samples, at 5:30 p.m. in Hampden Park.
- India news: Increasing the share of cleaner cooking among rural households of India - Observer Research Foundation
- Presentation slides: Proposals to finance energy projects of developing countries by the voluntary compensation of greenhouse gas emissions (Engish, German) - Dieter Seifert
- Germany interview: Wolfgang Scheffler: Die Geschichte des “Scheffler-Spiegels” - SunPod
- South Africa vendor: Sustainable.co.za
- Solar cooking book: Forni Solari (Italian)
- Heat storage news: Solar Stove reduces the cooking costs by 80% and is a safer alternative - Tech Explorist
- Photovoltaic cooking news: Bancha, the first solar kitchen only village in India
- South Africa news: Sustainable energy was the focus on Africa Day - South Coast Herald
- Sweden individual: Sara Hjalmarsson
- Sweden blog: Sara Hjalmarsson's Blog - (English version)
- Annual Report: Solar Cookers International's Annual Report for 2018
- Funding resource: Unlocking Public and Private Finance for the Poor - UN Capital Development Fund
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
The Solar Cooking Wiki
- About this wiki
- Add or edit an article
- About Solar Cookers International (SCI)
- Sign up for the email news updates
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Introduction to solar cooking
- Why solar cooking is important
- How solar cookers work
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- Top news
- New content
- Construction plans
- SCI Associates
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Heat storage
- Solar restaurants and bakeries
- Health and safety
- Emergency preparedness
- Business development
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Other non-cooking uses
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.