|138 Countries · 350 NGOs · 275 Individuals|
167 Manufacturers · 408 Designs · 94 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- 30-31 May 2019 (Wexford, Ireland): Pathways to Clean Cooking 2050: Leaving No-one Behind - The conference will focus attention on reaching the furthest behind first, with topics such as households and settings, evaluating pathways to modern sustainable cooking energy systems, policy options, and more. More information...
- 22-24 January 2020 (Faro, Portugal): CONSOLFOOD2020 - To be held at the Institute of Engineering, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. The conference will focus on solar thermal food processing. The deadline for receipt of abstracts is 31 May 2019. Abstracts should be sent via email to email@example.com in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format. More conference information...
- 5-7 July 2019 (Trozena): Solar Cooking with a black ceramic steam cooker - At this three-day Trozena Camp workshop you will have the chance to create your black ceramic steamer, including a Diamond Solar Cooker made by Renewcy. More information...
- 30-31 May 2019 (Wexford): Pathways to Clean Cooking 2050: Leaving No-one Behind - Ireland will host this international conference that will focus attention on reaching the furthest-behind first, with topics such as households and settings, evaluating pathways to modern sustainable cooking energy systems, policy options, and more. More information...
- September 2019 (Benguerir Green City): Solar Decathlon AFRICA - More information...
- Health: Health benefits of solar cooking
- Heat storage: Sun Buckets video
- Solar cooker design: GoSun Go
- India news: World Earth Day: On Mission to Save Environment, Gujarat Engineer Designs Solar Cooker That Costs Just Rs 100 - News 18
- Funding resource: UNDP Transparency Portal
- USA Facebook group: Secret Solar Institute of North Nevada
- Brazil Facebook group: Garota Intelligentsia
- Fresnel solar cooker news: You could soon save hundreds on your energy bills with this ‘solar oven’ that uses heat of the SUN to cook your dinner - The Sun
- Sweden news: SaltX hackathon winners to solve climate change - The Daily Telescope
- Philippines news: A shelter driven by the sun - Inquirer.Net
- Photovotaic solar cooker news: After Saubhagya, govt plans induction stoves for the poor - Live Mint
- Photovotaic solar cooker news: Bridging the last mile: Accelerating access to cooking energy in India - Opinion by Amit Kumar | ET EnergyWorld - Energyworld
- India news: On Mission to Save Environment, Gujarat Engineer Designs Solar Cooker That Costs Just Rs 100 - NEWS 18
- Evacuated-tube cooker news: We tested the GoSun Go solar oven — here’s what we thought - Inhabitat
- Mexico news: Mexican student develops cactus capsules to purify water with the aid of a solar cooker - The Yucatan Times
- Afghanistan news: Using the sun to reduce air pollution in Kabul - The Hindu
- Project funder: Global Environment Facility (GEF)
- USA news: Allen changes focus to solar energy - Bingham County Chronicle
- Cyprus news: Cyprus inventor and entrepreneur explains his solar cooker business - CyprusMail Online
- Research paper: An investigation of a solar cooker with parabolic trough concentrator - Muhamman Noman, et al
- Uganda news: Four Ugandan companies win grants to power refugee camps - Uganda 7
- EVENT: 5-7 July 2019 (Trozena, Cyprus): Solar Cooking with a black ceramic steam cooker
- NGO news: SCI's Performance Evaluation Process named as Finalist in MIT Climate CoLab "Energy Supply 2018" contest
- Manufacturer news: Heliac Solar earns the Judges' Choice Award in MIT Climate CoLab "Energy Supply 2018" contest
- India news: Smart Solar Cooking Solutions Design National Challenge 2019 for young Indian innovators. Application required by 31 March 2019
- Mexico news: The Mexican NGO Techamos Una Mano donates solar cookers to owners of crowd-built houses in Oaxaca
- Materials: Graphene Device Sops Up Sunlight, Heats to 160 °C (320 °F) in Seconds - IEEE Spectrum
- France Facebook group: Les Festins Photoniques
- Solar Cookers International news: SCI Blog
- Photovoltaic cooking paper: Insulated Solar Electric Cooking – Tomorrow's healthy aﬀordable stoves?
- EVENT: 30-31 May 2019: Pathways to Clean Cooking 2050: Leaving No-one Behind (Wexford, Ireland) - The conference will focus attention on reaching the furthest behind first, with topics such as: households and settings, evaluating pathways to modern sustainable cooking energy systems, policy options, and more.
- Book: The tale of a young Bangladeshi boy who enters his school's sustainability contest with a solar cooker design to help improve his family's health - Kids Can Press
- Cooking news: GoSun Thermo tracks food temperature wirelessly
- Cooking pot news: Heat retention myths and facts: Does cast iron hold heat better than clad? - CenturyLife.org
- Solar cooker design: Newton Solar Oven
- Germany news: Kooperation beim Klimaschutz - Sonnenenergie
- Cooking pot news: Soot-based coatings for solar cookers - H. Servín-Campuzano, et al
- India news: Vocational Training On Preservation Of Fruits And Vegetables Concludes At Krishi Vigyan Kendra Fatehgarh Sahib - 5 Dariya News
- Manufacturer news: New stove manufacturer in India uses heat storage for evening cooking
- EVENT: 22-24 January 2020: CONSOLFOOD2020 (Faro, Portugal) - The next solar thermal food processing conference is being planned, and is encouraging submission of abstracts, by 31 May 2019.
- Education news: Wellesley author’s book has kids cooking with solar power - The Swellesley Report
- EVENT: September 2019 (Benguerir Green City, Morocco): Solar Decathlon AFRICA
- Solar drying news: Solar Energy Drying in Haiti: Reducing Peanut Loss
- France vendor: Soleil Vert
- Solar wall oven news: Window-mounted solar oven - Design Innovation Center (Mumbai)
- India news: StartupBharat: From solar stoves to 3D printing, four stories of innovation from Gujarat - YourStory
- Carbon credit news: Compensation of CO2 emissions as a global opportunity for climate protection (English, Spanish) - Dieter Seifert
- Individual news: RPCV Patricia McArdle: PCV, Diplomat, Novelist, Solar Cook - Peace Corps Worldwide
- GoSun news: GoSun woos outdoor cooks with Fusion's solar power - TechXplore
- EVENT: 6-7 April 2019 (Altötting, Germany): - EG-Solar is sponsoring a solar cooking conference in Altötting, Germany in conjunction with local students. The conference language will be German. Contact Bernhard Müller if interested in more information.
- EVENT: 8-10 May 2019 (Florianopolis, Brazil): - ENSUS 2019 - VII Encontro de Sustentabilidade em Projeto
- Evacuated-tube cooker news: GoSun's Fusion solar cooker revealed at CES 2019 - C|Net
- Puerto Rico news: Faith-Based Social Entrepreneurs Bank Puerto Rico Trash Will Fuel Island's Growth - Forbes
- EVENT: 21-23 March 2019 (Eldoret, Kenya): - The AfriShiners 3rd International Workshop will take place in Eldoret, Kenya in March 2019 (Unfortunately, registration is full for this event). More information...
- Namibia news: Solar cooking impresses workshop participants - The Namibian
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
- For questions and comments about the Solar Cooking Wiki (this website), contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Solar Cooking Wiki
- About this wiki
- Add or edit an article
- About Solar Cookers International (SCI)
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Introduction to solar cooking
- Why solar cooking is important
- How solar cookers work
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- Top news
- New content
- Construction plans
- Solar Cookers International Associates
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Heat storage
- Solar restaurants and bakeries
- Health and safety
- Emergency preparedness
- Business development
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Other non-cooking uses