|142 Countries · 305 NGOs · 248 Individuals|
158 Manufacturers · 436 Designs · 115 Plans
|Sponsor: Solar Cookers International|
Solar cooking around the world
|Farmers with a Vision are actively manufacturing and marketing insulated solar box ovens in Kenya|
|See the latest solar cookers tested with the Performance Evaluation Process (PEP)|
|EntreCordillera Restobar joins the community of restaurants offering solar cooked meals in Villaseca, Chile|
|Cooking gas in India is getting costlier every fortnight, solar-powered stoves in Bancha provide one alternative|
|Solar bakery in India finds a market for healthy vegan cookies|
|Solar Cookers International has been named as a winner of the Keeling Curve Prize for sustainable planet solutions!|
- NEW: 18-22 October 2021: Week of Clean Cooking - The Clean Cooking Alliance announces this first ever event, leading up to the UN Climate Summit (COP26) in early November. It will feature a wide range of virtual engagements, events, announcements, content releases, and networking opportunities with CCA and partners from across the clean cooking ecosystem. There is no charge to participate in this event, but registration is required for individual program items. More information...
- 22-26 November 2021: 2nd National Congress for Solar Drying and Cooking Food - An affiliated group of universities in Mexico will host an online conference relating to solar food drying and cooking, as well as, food safety and energy savings realized with minimal environmental impact. Participants can register to view the presentations, or apply for presentation consideration. The conference will be in Spanish. Registration information... - (English version)
- 17-23 December 2021: Solar Cooking Awareness Week (Southern Hemisphere) - A loosely organized bid to acknowledge the fun and benefits of solar cooking. Show someone how to solar cook and share a meal.
- 24-26 January 2022: Fourth International Conference: Advances in Solar Thermal Food Processing - CONSOLFOOD Chairman, Celestino Ruivo, has announced an extended call for abstracts for the upcoming conference in January 2022, which is now planned to be an online event. Advances in solar cooking as well as solar food processing will be considered for inclusion. The event schedule and submission requirements are in CONSOLFOOD 2022 conference information.
- 6-10 February 2022 (Perth): World Renewable Energy Congress XXI - Hosted by Murdoch University, The conference will focus on finding 'A Pathway to Economic Recovery and Climate Mitigation'. With a broad agenda, conference organizers are requesting proposals for presentation, and have acknowledged solar cooking to be a viable technology to help achieve the stated objectives. They encourage solar cooking organizations to submit proposals. More information...
- NEW: 5-7 April 2022: ISEC Call for Abstracts (by 24 October 2021) - The 2nd International Sustainable Energy Conference 2022 will be taking place in Graz, Austria. Now is the time to submit an abstract to contribute to an accelerated implementation of Renewable Heating and Cooling in Integrated Urban and Industrial Energy Systems. Present the results of your research or the implementation of groundbreaking projects and discuss them with representatives from research, industry and politics. The deadline for abstract submission is 24 October 2021. Conference information...
- NEW: 22-24 June 2022 (Marabá-PA): ENSUS 2022 - ENSUS is a national event, with international coverage and participation, which aims to promote knowledge aimed at sustainability applied in engineering, architecture and urbanism, design and related areas. It will include online events as as well as in-person participation. The conference will be in Portuguese. More information...
- NEW: 17-19 March 2022 (Jakarta): 7th SOLARTECH Indonesia - (Rescheduled from 30 September-2 October 2021) to be held at JIExpo Kemayoran Jakarta. More information...
Add your event
- Have your event listed here by emailing email@example.com.
- Stove design: Yash Solar Stove
- Haiti news: Eliesheriff Joseph continues his solar cooking demonstrations around Hinche
- Kenya news: Farmers with a Vision are currently producing insulated wooden solar box ovens for sale at their facility in Kenya
- (EVENT) Conference: 18-22 October 2021: Week of Clean Cooking - The Clean Cooking Alliance announces this first ever event, leading up to the UN Climate Summit (COP26) in early November. It will feature a wide range of virtual engagements, events, announcements, content releases, and networking opportunities with CCA and partners from across the clean cooking ecosystem.
- Testing: See the latest solar cookers tested with the Performance Evaluation Process (PEP)
- (EVENT) Conference: 22-24 June 2022 (Marabá-PA), Brazil: ENSUS 2022 - A national event, with international coverage and participation, which aims to promote knowledge aimed at sustainability applied in engineering, architecture and urbanism, design and related areas. It will include online events as as well as in-person participation. The conference will be in Portuguese.
- (EVENT) Webinar: Monday, 27 September 2021, 3:00pm - 4:00pm EDT, 19:00 - 20:00 GMT, Building a Solar Oven: A Real-World, Interdisciplinary Project for K-12 Students with Jennifer Gasser and Mary Buchenic
- Chile news: EntreCordillera Restobar joins the community of restaurants offering solar cooked meals in Villaseca
- (EVENT) Online classroom: . Friday, 17 September 2021 (10:30am CDT, 15:30 GMT): The Syracuse-Turkey Creek Township Public Library, offers online programs for homeschool students. This program is described as learning to build and use a solar cooker
- (EVENT) Conference: 5-7 April 2022: The 2nd International Sustainable Energy Conference 2022 will be taking place in Graz, Austria. Abstract submissions for presentation due by 24 October 2021
- India news: Cooking gas in India getting costlier every fortnight, solar-powered stoves in Bancha provide one alternative - The CSR Journal
- (EVENT) Conference: 15-17 September 2021: Climate Chance Summit Africa 2021. Participation is free in this virtual event, but registration is required
- Kenya news: Solar cooking demonstration in Mwandogo
- Mexico Facebook group: Red Mexicana de Secado y Cocción Solar
- Hybrid gas/solar stove: See Clement Musonda News for more detail on the hybrid stove he created in Zambia
- Keeling Curve Prize: Mongabay.com describes the impact Solar Cookers International has had with the promotion of solar cooking, leading to their award in the Social and Cultural Pathways category
- Report: Performance of solar funnel cookers using intermediate temperature test load under low sun elevation - Xabier Apaolaza-Pagoaga, Atul A. Sagade, Celestino Rodrigues Ruivo, Antonio Carrillo-Andrés, Solar Energy 2021, 225, 978-1000
- U.N. Sustainability Development Goals: Video interview with Wyldon Fishman, SCI Board member, on how solar cooking meets the United Nations' Seventeen Sustainable Development Goals
- Document: Oportunidades para superar la pobreza extrema mediante la cooperación en la protección del clima
- American made solar competition: The U.S. Dept. of Energy is sponsoring a a multi-part competition to spur solar manufacturing, develop innovative solar solutions and products. The final phase is still open for submittals until 5 October 2021
- Photovoltaic cooking: Residents of This Village in India Do Not Need Wood or LPG to Cook, How Solar Power Changed Lives - News 18
- France news: Solar-baked bread? Recycled loaves? Bakers try something new in France - The Christian Science Monitor
- (EVENT) Conference: 22-26 November 2021: 2nd Mexican National Congress for Solar Drying and Cooking Food (Spanish)
- Heat storage: Sun Buckets presentation compares use with LPG
For older news and new-content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
The Solar Cooking Wiki
- About this wiki
- About Solar Cookers International (SCI)
- About the SCI Association
- Become an SCI Associate
- Sign up for email news updates
- Add or edit an article
- Wiki user rules
Solar cooking basics
- Introduction to solar cooking
- Why solar cooking is important
- How solar cookers work
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- New content
- Construction plans
- SCI Associates
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Facebook groups
Teaching and promotion
- Promoting solar cooking
- Most significant projects
- Funding your project
- Classroom resources
- Online courses
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Heat storage
- Solar restaurants and bakeries
- Health and safety
- Emergency preparedness
- Business development
- Research topics
- History of solar cooking
- Map showing cooker distribution
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Solar food drying
- Non-cooking uses