Last edited: 25 November 2020
While visiting Stockholm, Sweden, in September 2013, President Obama asked for a visit to the Royal Institute of Technology KTH to see the latest research in energy solutions, research, and innovation. Petra Wadström, inventor of Solvatten, a solar water pasteurization system, was given the opportunity to present the unique device and demonstrate how it is used around the world to improve health, empower women, and lower CO2 emissions. Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt also attended the presentation, acknowledging the technology as a solution for global challenges.
Events[edit | edit source]
- NEW: Webinar: Sunday, 24 January 2021 (14:30-16:50 EU, GMT) Spreading our passion for solar cooking - Celestino Ruivo, Chairman CONSOLFOOD, will lead this special meeting, with assistance from Ajay Chandak, and Dave Oxford from SLiCKsolarstove UK. View the Program schedule, and participate in the meeting...
- Have your event listed here by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
News[edit | edit source]
- November 2018: Kitchen Facility with Rocket Stoves in Ghana - Engineers Without Borders - Sweden is constructing a new kitchen at Wulugu Senior High School in Ghana. With the new kitchen solution through the use of multiple Rocket Stoves, teachers, workers and children at the school will be able to continue their everyday life without inhaling any smoke that causes health problems.
- November 2013: Petra Wadström wins the Polhem Prize for the Solvatten system - The Polhem Prize is awarded by the Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers for a high-level technological innovation or an ingenious solution to a technical problem. The innovation must present environmental benefits and be available and shown competitive on the open market. The jury states: "Petra Wadström's innovation Solvatten is low tech but none the less ingenious. It addresses a growing global problem to millions of people living in poverty and without access to safe water and clean energy."
- September 2013: President Obama meets with inventor of Solvatten - During the course of his one day in Stockholm, Sweden, President Obama asked for a visit to the Royal Institute of Technology KTH to see the latest research in energy solutions, research, and innovation. Inventor of Solvatten, Petra Wadström was given the opportunity to present the unique Solvatten Solar Water System and demonstrate how it is used around the world to improve health, empower women, and lower CO2 emissions. Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt also attended the presentation, acknowledging the technology as a solution for global challenges.
History[edit | edit source]
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia article on the climate of Sweden
- Sweden Energy Situation - Energypedia
- Solar cooker dissemination and cultural variables
Resources[edit | edit source]
Possible funders[edit source]
Blogs[edit | edit source]
Reports[edit | edit source]
Articles in the media[edit | edit source]
- February 2018: SaltX hackathon winners to solve climate change - The Daily Telescope
[edit | edit source]
The entities listed below are either based in Sweden, or have established solar cooking projects there:
SCI Associates[edit source]
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association