Last edited: 18 November 2019
While visiting Stockholm, Sweden, in September 2013, President Obama asked for a visit to the Royal Institute of Technology KTH to see the latest research in energy solutions, research, and innovation. Petra Wadström, inventor of Solvatten, a solar water pasteurization system, was given the opportunity to present the unique device and demonstrate how it is used around the world to improve health, empower women, and lower CO2 emissions. Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt also attended the presentation, acknowledging the technology as a solution for global challenges.
- NEW: 27 March 2020 (14:00 - 15:30 GMT): Women’s Energy Entrepreneurship - More information...
- NEW: 28 March 2020 (16:45 - 18:20 GMT): 1stWebinar CONSOLFOOD - Spreading the solar cooking “virus” - More information...
- NEW: 4-5 April 2020: Global Health & Innovation Conference - At this 17th annual conference, learn from more than 200 speakers who are committed to effective, responsible programs in health, development, entrepreneurship, and education. More information...
- NEW: 23-26 June 2020: ASES SOLAR 20/20 - In conjunction with the U.S. Department of Energy’s Solar Decathlon, the American Solar Energy Society is sponsoring the global event, SOLAR 20/20. Hear the latest information on climate change, as well as learn about amazing technology and market advances by innovators and financiers. This will be a push by everyone across the political spectrum for more control of our energy choices to reduce associated costs. NEW: SOLAR 20/20 will happen over the same dates, but as a virtual event. More information...
- NEW: 29 June - 01 July 2020 (Frieburg, Germany): International Energy Workshop - More information...
- November 2018: Kitchen Facility with Rocket Stoves in Ghana - Engineers Without Borders - Sweden is constructing a new kitchen at Wulugu Senior High School in Ghana. With the new kitchen solution through the use of multiple Rocket Stoves, teachers, workers and children at the school will be able to continue their everyday life without inhaling any smoke that causes health problems.
- November 2013: Petra Wadström wins the Polhem Prize for the Solvatten system - The Polhem Prize is awarded by the Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers for a high-level technological innovation or an ingenious solution to a technical problem. The innovation must present environmental benefits and be available and shown competitive on the open market. The jury states: "Petra Wadström's innovation Solvatten is low tech but none the less ingenious. It addresses a growing global problem to millions of people living in poverty and without access to safe water and clean energy."
- September 2013: President Obama meets with inventor of Solvatten - During the course of his one day in Stockholm, Sweden, President Obama asked for a visit to the Royal Institute of Technology KTH to see the latest research in energy solutions, research, and innovation. Inventor of Solvatten, Petra Wadström was given the opportunity to present the unique Solvatten Solar Water System and demonstrate how it is used around the world to improve health, empower women, and lower CO2 emissions. Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt also attended the presentation, acknowledging the technology as a solution for global challenges.
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and cultureEdit
- Wikipedia article on the climate of Sweden
- Sweden Energy Situation - Energypedia
- Solar cooker dissemination and cultural variables
Articles in the mediaEdit
- February 2018: SaltX hackathon winners to solve climate change - The Daily Telescope
The entities listed below are either based in Sweden, or have established solar cooking projects there:
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association
Manufacturers and vendorsEdit