Last edited: 25 November 2020
While visiting Stockholm, Sweden, in September 2013, President Obama asked for a visit to the Royal Institute of Technology KTH to see the latest research in energy solutions, research, and innovation. Petra Wadström, inventor of Solvatten, a solar water pasteurization system, was given the opportunity to present the unique device and demonstrate how it is used around the world to improve health, empower women, and lower CO2 emissions. Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt also attended the presentation, acknowledging the technology as a solution for global challenges.
- NEW: Webinar: Thursday, 11 November 2021, 1:00pm UTC: - Solar Cookers International will present a webinar showing how solar cooking helps to improve public health, and the health of the environment around the globe. As part of this year's COP26 in Glasgow, Scotland, it will take place as a side event at the World Health Organization pavilion. There is limited space available for those interested in participating in this free event. Register early.
- 22-26 November 2021: 2nd National Congress for Solar Drying and Cooking Food - An affiliated group of universities in Mexico will host an online conference relating to solar food drying and cooking, as well as, food safety and energy savings realized with minimal environmental impact. Participants can register to view the presentations, or apply for presentation consideration. The conference will be in Spanish. Registration information... - (English version)
- 17-23 December 2021: Solar Cooking Awareness Week (Southern Hemisphere) - A loosely organized bid to acknowledge the fun and benefits of solar cooking. Show someone how to solar cook and share a meal.
- 24-26 January 2022: Fourth International Conference: Advances in Solar Thermal Food Processing - CONSOLFOOD Chairman, Celestino Ruivo, has announced an extended call for abstracts for the upcoming conference in January 2022, which is now planned to be an online event. Advances in solar cooking as well as solar food processing will be considered for inclusion. The event schedule and submission requirements are in CONSOLFOOD 2022 conference information.
- November 2018: Kitchen Facility with Rocket Stoves in Ghana - Engineers Without Borders - Sweden is constructing a new kitchen at Wulugu Senior High School in Ghana. With the new kitchen solution through the use of multiple Rocket Stoves, teachers, workers and children at the school will be able to continue their everyday life without inhaling any smoke that causes health problems.
- November 2013: Petra Wadström wins the Polhem Prize for the Solvatten system - The Polhem Prize is awarded by the Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers for a high-level technological innovation or an ingenious solution to a technical problem. The innovation must present environmental benefits and be available and shown competitive on the open market. The jury states: "Petra Wadström's innovation Solvatten is low tech but none the less ingenious. It addresses a growing global problem to millions of people living in poverty and without access to safe water and clean energy."
- September 2013: President Obama meets with inventor of Solvatten - During the course of his one day in Stockholm, Sweden, President Obama asked for a visit to the Royal Institute of Technology KTH to see the latest research in energy solutions, research, and innovation. Inventor of Solvatten, Petra Wadström was given the opportunity to present the unique Solvatten Solar Water System and demonstrate how it is used around the world to improve health, empower women, and lower CO2 emissions. Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt also attended the presentation, acknowledging the technology as a solution for global challenges.
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture
- Wikipedia article on the climate of Sweden
- Sweden Energy Situation - Energypedia
- Solar cooker dissemination and cultural variables
Articles in the media
- February 2018: SaltX hackathon winners to solve climate change - The Daily Telescope
The entities listed below are either based in Sweden, or have established solar cooking projects there:
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association