This article is about an entity that either no longer exists or that may no longer be active in solar cooking promotion. It is retained here for archival purposes.
Last edited: 6 July 2009
Synopsis is a French NGO involved in the following activities:
- Research in solar energy (tests, computer simulation and development of test methods),
- Development, testing and production of solar equipment for industrial and small scale production for developing and industrialised countries,
- Planning, implementation and evaluation of technical programs in developing countries,
- Comparative testing of solar equipment,
- Market studies, impact assessment and acceptance studies in the field of renewable energies,
- Technical studies in the field of solar energy,
- Consultancy for non-governmental organisations, international agencies, companies and individuals,
- Evaluation of renewable energy resources,
- Planning and implementation of research and development programs.
News and recent developments
- March 2008: French nongovernmental organization Synopsis is collaborating with the German Agency for Technical Cooperation (GTZ)-implemented Programme for Biomass Energy Conservation (ProBEC), based in Johannesburg, South Africa, to develop a meter that will be installed in solar cookers to track use in real time. Traditionally, solar cooker use and fuel savings have been determined through surveys, or by estimating the amount of fuel required to cook over a period of time versus the actual amount of fuel used. These approaches can take a lot of time and resources, and the results aren’t always reliable or convincing to skeptics. Dr. Michael Grupp thinks there is a better way. He says his invention, the Synopsis Use Meter (SUM), will automatically determine the quantity of food being cooked, the cooking temperature, the cooking time, and the number of “meal portions” prepared in the cooker. When compared to baseline emissions, this data yields actual greenhouse gas reduction figures produced by the respective household, which could be sold through a voluntary carbon market to help offset the cost of the solar cooker.
Route d' Olmet
F - 34700 Lodève
Tel: +33 (0)4 67 44 04 10
Fax: +33 (0)4 67 44 06 01