Last edited: 6 August 2019
Students in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, learn to solar cook in 2015. Photo credit: SuryaKumbh
- NEW: Webinar: 11 July, 2020 (2:00-4:00 PDT, 9:00pm-11:00pm GMT): Cooking using a Haybox and a Battery Powered Slow Cooker - This webinar, presented by SF Innovations Ltd, will look at two different techniques of cooking using a well insulated cooking container. It will show how to cook rice, stews and even bake bread using little or no fossil fuel. Registration information...
- NEW: 1-4 September 2020: EuroSun2020 is going virtual - The conference will be now be held on a virtual platform, as a response to safety concerns surrounding Covid-19. According to the organization, "We are currently working on new registration fees that reflect the resources and support for creating the virtual conference infrastructure and presenting the conference online. We will provide more details on the registration rates in the coming weeks." The 13th Conference on Solar Energy for Buildings and Industry will offer a platform to discuss the latest developments with leading solar energy experts, policy makers, and industry representatives. More information...
- December 2020: SWC50 – The Century of Solar - In 1970 solar research pioneers met at the first International Solar Energy Society (ISES) Conference in Melbourne Australia. ISES is commemorating this Conference with a special 50th Anniversary Conference and Display, called the Solar World Congress at 50 (SWC50). The face-to-face conference, originally scheduled for 2-4 December 2020, will be replaced by a series of eight virtual conferences over the course of the month in December 2020. It will include the same panel sessions that were planned for the in-person planned event. More information...
Have your event listed here by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 2016: A new solar concentrator power plant was recently approved for construction in Dubai and is set to be the largest in the world. The plant will reportedly generate 1,000 megawatts of power by 2020 and 5,000 megawatts by 2030. Read more...
- July 2016: So far Beacon Energy Solutions has introduced solar cooking to more than 200 students across three different schools in Dubai. Read more... - Khaleej Times
- June 2015: Dubai students learn to use solar reflectors to cook in the sun - Inspired by the Guinness World Record setting event held in Mumbai, India, earlier this year, Beacon Energy Solutions partnered with DPS Academy in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, to "inspire youngsters to harness ... solar energy." Sixty-seven students from grades 5 - 8 gathered to learn how to use a solar oven to cook several types of local dishes.
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and cultureEdit
- Wikipedia article on the climate of United Arab Emirates
- United Arab Emirates Energy Situation - Energypedia
- Solar cooker dissemination and cultural variables
- Find a Kiva microfinance partner in United Arab Emirates.
- Raising funds through grants and donations
Construction plans in ArabicEdit
- CooKit variation (made from smaller pieces of cardboard)
- Minimum Box Cooker
- Solar Water Pasteurizer
- See general guidance on raising funds through grants and donations.
Articles in the mediaEdit
- September 2017: Women Play Key Role in Solar Energy Projects - Inter Press Service
- December 2015: Noodles made in solar cookers - Dubai News Express
The entities listed below are either based in United Arab Emirates, or have established solar cooking projects there:
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association
Manufacturers and vendorsEdit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.